Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A not-so-intense post from Jake

So, I tend to get a little serious when I'm writing for this blog, but here are a few comments that I'm going to just put out there.

Food: Argentine food is notably more bland than Mexican food, but actually has a lot in common with American cuisine. A lot of meat and potatoes, soups, breads and fruit. My favorite food here is definitely steak, and I'll probably write a long post about Argentine beef sometime soon. My favorite dish is definitely Estofado, a mix between a stew and a heavy pasta dish. Yum! Pizza, hamburgers, and french fries also all figure prominently. And high blood pressure comes from too much salt, right? I wonder what the figures are on Argentines... they eat a lot of salt.

Wine: Argentinians know what they're doing, 'nuff said.

Soccer: The National Team just made the National Hero their coach. For those of you old enough to remember the World Cups of the 80's and 90's, you probably know the name Maradona. He has been brought in to bring the Argentine squad back to glory, or at least to raise the ratings on their next matches.

Ped Malls: Resistencia recently built a ped mall. Its pretty much exactly like Pearl Street in Boulder or Mass St. in Lawrence. We don't spend a lot of time there, but consumerism (I mean "investment" has a home).

Important thing to remember: Human beings are more than the bubbles that they circle on the census and they are more than the sum of the hours that the work. Dehumanization happens when we stop asking others questions and assume that we already have the answers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does your region of Argentina have a local specialty that you like? I'm enjoying reading your blog, and I hope you both are great!